From Hackers Against Climate Change
Collection of what we did during Camp
This is just to collect the things we did, so that we know on what we need feedback
- village inside about:freedom
- one table/booth in the about:planet tent with stickers and flyers
- tent and matress repair
- Twitter @c3sus and Mastodon @firstname.lastname@example.org
- c3sus introduction meeting
- c3sus follow-up meeting
- shadow sustainability programme on our village's wiki page
- short talk at Infrastructure Review
- organise organic waste bins on short notice
- interviewing some kitchens
- labelled bins for different waste + what (not) to put in it
- more info about what is going on in the wiki
- teams formed for different areas of interest
- ordered stickers, flyers, and posters for September 20
Went Awesome / Continue Doing
- wiki documentation
- one single source of truth(TM)
- how do we host this?
- Do we know anyone? Hackerspace to help? maybe ask on the c3sus mailinglist
- infrastructure provided by about:freedom was awesome (stage, workshop tent, booth, kitchen, common space)
- highlight the noise level going forward
Went Less Awesome / Stop Doing / Do Differently
- c3sus follow-up meeting collided with hanno's talk at thm
- plan meetings with the more general schedule
- blipp needs support! and cannot do everything on his own :-)
- shadow sustainability programme on our wiki page did not update automatically -> use/create some software/script that can do that
- send a call out on the mailing list to ask if anyone can pick this up
- switching off generators
- team up with solar power group
- almost doubling the cost for waste disposal
- apparently someone called the waste management company and ordered more bins without coordinate with PL
- For Leipzig: start planning waaay early if we want to get involved
Could Be Awesome / Start doing
- Develop self-conception of the group, incl. discuss how does C3Sus wants to interact with other groups. View orga as part of the team making C3 more sustainable and not the "enemy"
- focus on help to do stuff
- include c3sus help offer into locruf?
- invest time into researching where we can have the highest impact
- Talk about who has what kind of experiences at Congresses/Camps
- regular meetings between events
- set weekday? - poll for date and time with Tofu
- sub-team meetings / sub-projects in between, report back to main meeting
- eco friendly signs
- faze is on that?
- Define mid to long-term goals - what do we try to achieve?
- Angel badges
- contact Faze to confirm if he has already picked it up
- Water refill station
- lynx needs info from blipp & kritis about this - BOC / gnomus may be already looking into this
- this could save money to buy efficient, fast, water refill station
- research topic - if someone is interested can pick this up as a project - should get in touch with kritis / blipp
- research topic / effort - can we try to get a water fountain at congress with a water counter that tells ccc how much money was used / saved?
- LOC: recycle/reuse stuff that is leftover: find people that would agree to take it as a donation (tofu, foaly)
- CO2 offsetting for trucks
questions on other topics
- how many people are active in c3sus?
- faze, gunnar, blipp, aimee, lynx, coco... - under 10 people
- think about nice ways on how to mark own bottle
- marker on wet bottle doesn't work - permanent markers should work fine on dry bottles, attaching the permanent marker to something that doesn't walk off could work
- ~~possible solution printing small labels - not too sustainable~~
- possible solution: add sign - Label your bottles - everywhere you can get drinks
- There are special etching markers for glass bottles
- possible solution: molded mate clips that can be written on with a permanent marker - funding could be an issue but gimmicky could work for adoption rate
- possible solution: provided pieces of cord to attach bottle to self / belt / bags etc - sustainable eco friendly material?
- videos and manuals are nice, but don't belittle people, don't downtalk them
- providing mediation between people to reduce incidents such as turning off generators
- blipp will try to mediate in the pool situation
- on a meta note: the CCC events are a structure/framework that enables people to try out things – c3sus doesn't want to interfere with that in the sense of prohibitions, that just doesn't fit into the culture of the events
- in any case c3sus is not the instance that can decide if something is forbidden or not. that's the PL/assembly orga. of course we /could/ work with them if we /would/ want to establish kind of an sustainability codex at some point /well before/ an event.
- transparency of orga stuff: some people that came to the c3sus meetings were frustrated because it's not very transparent how the events are organised
- c3sus could step by step document the knowledge it gains about sustainability in the wiki (at some point a podcast ;). That way we can point people to it.