[HACC] Cooperation with renewable energy companies

Raphael Weniger raphael.weniger at acousticcloud.net
Sun Apr 28 15:09:32 CEST 2019

Hi Tim,

thanks for the ideas and hints!

I did not check the prices of green energy providers and assumed they
are slightly more expensive. Additionally with the potentially high
energy consumption (as you mentioned servers that run 24/7) and the
little financial means hacker and maker spaces have every cent counts.
A quick comparison of Stadtwerke München and Naturstrom:
Naturstrom: 28,75 ct/kWh
SWM: 26,05 ct/kWh (including the "Öko-Option": 26,29 ct/kWh)
But that is for private customers.

Besides checking the real prices and what the "Öko-Option" of energy
providers really means, maybe it would be interesting to create some
kind of checklist, tutorial and/or collection of projects for hacker
spaces how to get more sustainable concerning energy usage.
You seem to have quite some experience and ideas what to do. Do you know
any projects from single hacker/maker spaces? Are you interested in
helping me setting up a wiki-page concerning that topic?

One thing I did not research yet is, if there is some kind of
sustainability sweet spot between local/decentralized energy production
with additional overhead for every installation of a system and
centralized systems that potentially have less overhead. I mean overhead
and sweet spot concerning sustainability not (just) financially.
Gets the additional overhead smaller the longer those systems run? Maybe
it's just an initial overhead?

A little off topic:
That thought applies not just to energy production but also to
decentralized networks (if every person that has an Email address runs
it's own Email server the sum of the overhead energy needed would be
huge). As a hacker I think it would be great if the infrastructure would
be more decentralized (and therefor in a sense sustainable?) but maybe
at some point the energy overhead is just too big?

Best regards
Raphael

--
Raphael Weniger