[HACC] Naming discussions

Kolossos tim at alder-digital.de
Sun Jan 6 11:44:48 CET 2019

Hello,
I'm against a name change from HACC.

Yes "Hackers for sustainability" would include also people that are
working on ecology, which would be nice.
But "sustainability" is a so often misused word. Is it sustainable if I
use a mouse pad with recycled plastics but give each year 10t CO2 to the
atmosphere?
I learn that the best and easiest way to measure sustainability is after
a collapse, but than it's too late for a slow running, global disaster
like climate change.

We have absolutely to concentrate on the fight against climate change.
There are so many problems to solve (electricity, transport, heating).
And the timescale is now so crazy short after going 30 years in the
wrong direction, where we increase the carbon emissions by 50% at a time
where we know enough about climate change. So we have to change the
direction of carbon emissions measurable until 2025[1]. It's hard if you
know how long it takes for industries to grow and long unefficient
products will stay in the market.

So in respecting this timeframe we have to scale up and further develop
existing technologies (PV and Wind).  So we have the technologies but we
have hard politically resistant from old mens with big money.
A strong statement would by in my eyes good that we are against climate
change.

In my eyes we have also to talk about the level of consumption and this
means a bad word "recession". But is it really so bad or is the system
wrong? We need also a relocation of our effort to build up a new energy
system, change the transport system and optimize our houses in such a
short time and that's for me similar to what the US did as it decided to
go in WW2 and change there complete industry.

Also in WW2 it works for Americans to fight against Nazis, so it's not
in each case wrong to be against something.

If we don't solve the climate crises, we change so much, that it will be
an disaster for a lot of specimens. So for me the fight against climate
change is the best I can do for ecology. That doesn't mean that we
should not cooperated with ecology hackers and people tackling
unsustainablity.

Best regards
Tim

[1]