[HACC] Bits&Bäume Community Meeting (Online)

Carsten Knoll carsten.knoll at posteo.de
Fri Oct 29 21:34:15 CEST 2021

Dear David,

thank you very much for pointing that out.

Indeed, language barriers are an problematic issue and are definitely
not helping in our main objective: fighting the global climate crisis.

Taking "space" (i.e. attention) away from HACC or other organizations
which are truly international is definitively not what B&B wants, of course.

My invitation is merely the announcement of a meeting which might be
relevant to many or at least some of the list members. Those who find it
irrelevant may happily ignore it.

B&B is (to all what I know and at the current time) indeed a
German-speaking 'organization'. Anyway, on the September meeting we hat
a very interesting lightning talk including discussion from a member of
the KDE energy efficiency group [1], in English and he was perfectly
fine with the fact of an English section in a mostly German meeting. He
wanted to present their project and was glad for the additional attention.

This win-win-situation was what inspired me to write "The main language
during the meeting is usually German, but we also welcome contributions
in English."

Also I have met many people who are able to understand German, but feel
more comfortable to write and speak in English. I assumed that might be
true also to some of the members of the HACC-list and I wanted to
welcome them.

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/energy-efficiency/

(If there is more need for bilateral discussion I would suggest to do
this off-list for the sake of spam-reduction.)

Best,
Carsten

--

https://cknoll.github.io (Blog)