[HACC] Meteorological colloquium of the University of Munich and meeting scientists

Raphael Weniger raphael.weniger at acousticcloud.net
Mon Feb 11 22:41:14 CET 2019

Hi everyone,

I just want to give an account on what happened:

Those scientists I met were a very nice bunch of people. The colloquium
was very interesting and the discussion afterwards about climate change
and what HACC could do or where we could help resulted in:

- some sounded quite resigned and said it's more likely we hit or
surpass the 2 °C than staying around 1.5 °C

- one scientist said, they don't need technical support (as they are
mostly physicists and know how to implement tools, do visualizations and
so on) but maybe scientists of other backgrounds could need some help

- I mentioned the stackexchange site about climate change and other
related topics [1] and that a translation or a similar service in other
languages could be interesting. One scientist said, that the language of
science is English and a translation could be difficult. But he said he
could be biased (while using the word "biased" in a German sentence :-)).

- one idea was, we (HACC) should develop easily realisable solutions to
produce electric energy at home

- in relation to the point above: use locally (at home) produced energy
for hacking projects. For example power your Raspi or ESP with solar
panels and a power bank or something like that. It reminded me of this [2]

- we should help the German railway infrastructure :-)

So it was a good start and a very pleasant evening. I'm looking forward
to the next discussions with them.

Important:
------------
Concerning the training for teachers about climate change:

I was invited to the event and most likely will attend it. I can take
one person with me, so please let me know if you are interested. (till
Thursday, 14th February)
-------------

Best regards
Raphael